2014 Information and Procedures:
Dates: October 23, 24 & 25, 2014
Postmarked date for all audition forms is September 5th and MUST BE RECEIVED BY SEPTEMBER 12th. Judging will take place on September 13th. Results will be posted to the website on September 15th. Please read directions on audition forms carefully. Make sure forms and CDs are mailed to the appropriate honor choir coordinator.
Postmark for teacher/director pre-registration (required for ALL teachers/directors with students selected for an honor choir) is Sept 22 (received by Sept 26).
Postmark for registration materials for selected students (sent by teacher/director) is Oct 3 (received by Oct 10).
All State students register at 5:00 PM on Thursday, October 23, 2014, and participate in an evening of note check rehearsals. Reading sessions, interest sessions, concert performances and rehearsals with the All State conductors begin on Friday morning, October 24, 2014.
The conference will conclude with performances on Saturday, October 25, 2014, by the Children’s All State Choir at 1:00 p.m., the Youth All-State Choir at 2:15 p.m., Women’s All-State Choir at 3:00 p.m., and Men’s All State Choirs at 3:30 p.m. at First Baptist Church of New Orleans.
*Intercollegiate Honor Choir and Conductor’s choir concerts will be held at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, October 24th at St. Louis Cathedral in the French Quarter.
Ms. Thi Ha at AMC Music handles all the ordering of music for All State Choir and the Fall Vocal Conference. 800-833-8432
Note for Youth Choir auditions – please note that the men’s scale requirements have changed. Read carefully!
- Postmark for audition cd – Sept 5th (received by Sept 12th)
- Audition judging – Sept 13th
- Results posted on website (www.laacda.org) – Sept 15th
- Postmark for teacher/director pre-registration (required for ALL teachers/directors with students selected for an honor choir) – Sept 22nd (received by Sept 26th)
- Postmark for registration materials for selected students (sent by teacher/director) – Oct 3rd (received by Oct 10th)
- Audition fee = $10
- Registration fee upon acceptance into a choir = $75 (non-refundable; covers music, guest clinician and accompanist, insurance, practice tracks and name badge)
- Transportation to/from New Orleans
- Hotel and meals
- T-shirt and cd/dvd recordings of concert (optional)
Before the Audition:
- New this year – only CDs and online submissions will be accepted. No tapes allowed. Any auditions submitted via cassette tape will be disqualified!
- Be sure to use decent recording equipment.
- Singers should have their own audition cd clearly labeled with their name, grade level and voice part (children’s auditions will not specify voice part).
During the Audition:
- Each recording should contain three items: a spoken introduction and two singing requirements. See below for the requirements specific to each honor choir. All audition pieces can be purchased through AMC Music Company in Houston (1-800-833-8432).
- Do not sing with your student during the audition.
- Singers must sing with piano accompaniment and nothing else. LA-ACDA strongly recommends the accompaniment track that can be purchased from Jude Wilson.
- Do not add the melody to the accompaniment.
- All recordings must be unedited – do not dub portions of the song onto one recording.
After the Audition:
- Listen to each recording to make sure it is audible and complete before submitting it. CDs must be playable on CD players, not computers!
- Photocopy the audition form and complete one form for each singer. New this year – be sure to get all of the required signatures on the bottom of the form – your principal/head of organization’s signature is now required!
- Using a rubber band, wrap completed form around that singer’s audition cd.
- Include ONE CHECK from your school/organization, payable to LA-ACDA, with $10 for each student.
- Include a photocopy of your current ACDA membership card. Expired cards will not be accepted.
- Do not send anything by certified mail or any form of delivery that requires a signature.